NUTLEY, N.J. (AP) - Authorities say a mother and her 7-year-old son were found dead after a fire in a New Jersey home. A spokesman for the Essex County prosecutor's office said the blaze was reported at 12:30 p.m. Saturday. in a two-story home in Nutley. Chief Assistant Prosecutor Thomas Fennelly said 29-year-old Amanda Russo and her son were pronounced dead at Clara Mass Medical Center. The child's name wasn't released because of his age. A 74-year-old man was treated at a hospital. Fennelly said the cause and origin of the blaze remains under investigation.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - A shuttered 19th century Philadelphia church threatened with demolition may be getting a new lease on life following a sale to a New Jersey developer who said he hopes to save the stone building by turning it into offices. The Philadelphia Inquirer reports that the Archdiocese of Philadelphia last week confirmed the sale of Saint Laurentius in Fishtown. Neighbors and former parishioners have been campaigning to save the structure built in 1882 with the donations of Polish immigrants. Developer Humberto Fernandini said he purchased the property after the development team that initially tried to save it transferred to him its agreement of sale.

(AP) - Authorities say skeletal remains found in a crushed vehicle submerged in a New Jersey river has been identified as those of a woman missing for six years. State police responded Thursday to the report of remains in the Salem River. Officials said following an autopsy Friday that the remains were those of Vanessa Smallwood, who was 46 and living in Burlington Township when she vanished from Cherry Hill in January 2014. Salem County Prosecutor John Lenahan said there were no indications of a crime, although an exact cause of death wasn't revealed.

ANDOVER, N.J. (AP) - A New Jersey township says it plans to shut down an airport it purchased almost two decades ago and will continue to review possible future uses for the 121-acre site. reports that the 81-year-old Trinca Airport in Sussex County, where planes take off and land on a turf runway, will be shut down Sept. 1. Green Township bought the airport 18 years ago for $2.28 million. Mayor Margaret Phillips said financial and safety considerations drove the decision. She said a particular concern was unknown future costs, such as any improvements that could be ordered by federal authorities.

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.